It was so gorgeous! The trail is completely green, with the exception of the road crossings. It was very empty, the occasional older couple or mom with baby notwithstanding. We saw numerous cardinals, beautiful! I even almost ran one over that landed right in front of me to catch an insect. We heard woodpeckers peck the wood. But the highlight for me was seeing a bunch of bluebirds. I'd never seen real bluebirds.
The bike ride invigorated me, so when we got back, I quickly ate lunch and then went off to the nursery. I bought a bunch of perennials for the front yard, as I'm trying to fill that patch up, so we don't need to worry about it much anymore and Impatience for the backyard. We have very shady areas there and there is not much that will grow there, especially not flowering plants. Impatience seems to be it. It's expensive though, as it's just an annual and we need a lot of it to fill the spaces.
I also planted some Gladioli bulbs and this afternoon, just before the torrential rains hit, Saskia and I seeded Morning Glory, Peas, several herbs and Nasturtium.
Today I kept feeling like I was running ahead of the rains. It actually turned out to be dry most of the day (until just after Saskia and I planted those seeds). I had a hair appointment and my hair is darker than it was, which I like a lot. Next time I'm going to have some red put in. I talked about biking with my hair stylist (who is my age and I get along with very well, she's from the Lebanon) and she mentioned she didn't have a bike. I told her she could have my old one and she was very happy with that thought. So, in return for some hair products, I rode my old bike over there and then she gave me a ride home. She mentioned going biking with her son and little nieces, so I'm sure my old, reliable bike came to a good home.
When I got home, Katja called that she had missed the late schoolbus and could I give some of her classmates a ride too. Sure, I say. Turns out they live all over town! Would have been ok, except I left Saskia, with an earache and afraid of thunderstorms, with Kai, as I expected to not be long and she dislikes going with me. It of course took longer than expected, but thankfully, Rick got home early.
Wah, and now we have 2 more days of rain, this spring has been so unusual!!
I've been wanting to revive an old habit: recounting 5 things that made me happy, so here goes:
1. Believe it or not, but hearing Christine's complaining of her saddle pain made me happy, not because she was hurting, of course, but because she literally took the pain to ride out with me and enjoy the outside. That was a gift!
2. When Kai looked at me yesterday and told me he loves going to the park with his friends. It came from the bottom of his heart. There's another nature lover for me to enjoy!
3. Saskia's little voice on the phone when I called tonight and how big she is, that she can write a phone number down now.
4. Katja's obvious pride in having me (little old me
5. Rick's coming home early on Tuesday afternoon because I was in so much pain. I don't think he'll ever know just how much that means to me, his unfaltering support of me, no matter how sick I am.
As always, I'm blessed :).